Saturday, April 13, 2013

When Should I See a Specialist?

This is a question that everyone starts to ask themselves when it starts taking longer to get pregnant than expected. I remember starting to have this question pop up in my mind once I hit the three/four month mark. And while this is actually a very normal amount of time to conceive, I think a lot of couples can be impatient and start feeling like it's taking too long. It doesn't help that stories fly around about how often accidents happen, or how teenage girls get pregnant all the time. There is a myth that floats around that it's easy to get pregnant.

So what is a normal time to expect to get pregnant? The American Society for Reproductive Medicine says that if a woman is under the age of 35 to start seeking help after unprotected intercourse for one year, and for women over 35, six months. So if it's taking longer than you expected, so say, more than two or three months, you are still doing okay. Sometimes it takes a little longer for some to conceive, and there isn't a problem. It's just up to luck. But once the six month/year mark comes up, it's time to start seeking some help.

However, sometimes one can suspect something is wrong without needing to try for that long. posted that if you answer yes to any of the following to visit with your doctor.
  • I have painful periods.
  • I have irregular periods.
  • I can not pinpoint when I ovulate.
  • My partner/I have a history of STDs.
  • I have an unhealthy Body Mass Index (BMI). (underweight or overweight)
  • I have had more than one miscarriage. 
As for who to go see, that's a personal decision. I initally started treatment with an OB/GYN because my insurance covered it. They are able to run the simple, initial tests like a semen analysis and do ultrasounds, prescribe medications like Clomid/Femara and progesterone, and order imaging tests like a hysterosalpingogram. Some OB/GYNs are comfortable starting infertility treatment, and some aren't.

The best bet is to go directly to a specialist, a reproductive endocrinologist. They are the most skilled in this area, can help diagnose problems quicker, and get you set on the course of treatment that you need. It's worth it to go directly to a specialist. My only regret is that I wasted time "doctor hopping" instead of going immediately to the person who could have helped me best. 

1 comment:

xomandyxocheyxo said...

I have had 2 miscarriages so we started our "easy" tests this month and we are only on the 3-4 month mark.