Friday, March 29, 2013

Moving to the Next Step- IUI

At my appointment yesterday, since we have done five rounds of Clomid with intercourse to no success, we decided it was time for us to move on to the next step. So treatment this cycle will be a little bit different. We've decided to try intrauterine insemination, or as some people call it, artificial insemination.

This cycle will be very similar in that I am still taking 100 mg of Clomid to stimulate follicle growth. I've had success with a good number of follicles on that dose, so we are keeping it the same for now. I'll still track the days after Clomid with an OPK to see if I get an LH surge and ovulate on my own. If I don't get a surge, I'll still have to use the hCG trigger.

The only difference is that when I do ovulate, instead of relying on just intercourse, the doctor will inject the sperm directly into the uterus, bypassing the cervix altogether, and placing the sperm as close as we can to the egg. The nurse practitioner told us that this practice will double our odds of conception. This is a good 2 minute video about how this is done.

We are going to be traveling, and really hope that, if I do have a surge and ovulate on my own again, that we will be back home so we can do the procedure. If my body decides to be a superhero and ovulate really early this time while we're traveling, we'll have to cancel the IUI and try with just intercourse again. 

Please, send us lots and lots of prayers! This month, so far, will be the best chance we've ever had. We may just get our January 1st baby!

No comments: